Wednesday, October 24, 2007

How I got to be CEO of an NFL Stat Company

It all started in December of 2006, when my husband, Ed, and I sat and watched the Eagles punt away a ball at the 4th and 15 in an NFL playoff game. After listening to my screams of disbelief and the audible shouts and sobs of dismay that emanated from my neighbors’ homes, my husband felt compelled to put his engineering mind to work and develop a stat that could assist coaches in implementing strategy in critical game situations. Thus, PossessionPoints.com was born.

When Ed first told me about the stat, I was doubtful. How could numbers play such an important role in the game of football? As I watched him use the stat during the playoffs, I realized that he had invented the “Real McCoy”. I put on my PR hat and went to work. First stop, the lawyers for getting a Service Mark, starting the patent process and making us a corporation. After all that was completed, I was ready to promote.

At first, broadcasters and football people didn’t want to hear from us, but as the stat proved itself at the beginning of this season, we started to get recognition. Since the start of the pre-season, Ed has been interviewed by several sports radio personalities around the country. Print articles about the new stat have also been published.

PossessionPoints is no fluke. Using factors such as time of possession, the length of a scoring drive and the points scored, the stat tells an accurate picture of an NFL team’s true performance on the offense and defense side of the ball. What does this mean? Well, when used for in-game analysis, PossessionPoints can tell you with an accuracy of 96% who will be the winner of that game long before the clock runs out – sometimes as early as the first quarter. This gives coaches a chance to change strategy and broadcasters time to figure out other things to talk about.

For many of us, our football activity does not allow us the privilege of waiting until game time to pick a winner, but that’s okay, because PossessionPoints can accommodate your need to know as soon as possible too. For example, in week 5 of this season, I picked 12 out of 14 winners using only the stat, and we even gauge our Performance Rankings on it as well.
Our website has lots of freebies for visitors, but our members receive the real nuts and bolts info. They not only get a weekly e-newsletter but they receive our match up pages for future games plus other trends and stats that may be of interest.

I have always loved football, so I was never a football widow. However, if you would have told me a year ago, that I would be running a company like this, I would have laughed out loud. Oh well, life is funny, and if my life is meant to be wrapped around the NFL, then so be it.

No comments: